windstruck

Born-Kite RaceStar

@andy666 I think the prices on Born Kites are more than reasonable compared to other manufacturers. And no other manufacturer, to my knowledge, is making high aspect single skins. Most companies are going down the closed cell path, and they are very expensive. And imo putting off newcomers to the sport due to the cost - but that’s a whole different rant. 😁

23 hours ago, BigTone said:

@andy666 I think the prices on Born Kites are more than reasonable compared to other manufacturers. And no other manufacturer, to my knowledge, is making high aspect single skins. Most companies are going down the closed cell path, and they are very expensive. And imo putting off newcomers to the sport due to the cost - but that’s a whole different rant. 😁

The price of most born kites is camparable to other single skin kites on the market, not significantly cheaper. 

But with the race star it seems they are charging a premium because they are the only single skin “race” kite available. A 7m RS is €200 more the a 7.5m LS (that’s a 40% premium) Does it look like there is that much extra bridling in the RS??

If they do eventually prove themselves to be called a race kite then the extra price is deserved. But I’m still yet to see a review where the RS is directly compared to a proper race kite (not “from memory, when I flew a race kite once) like an R1, sonic or vapor. Or even how does it directly compare to a non-race depower kite. Or a direct back to back comparison to its biggest (and cheaper) rival the Flysurfer Peak3.

Looks like kite price is proportional to aspect ratio, hmm next step, a gizillion for a ribbon kite, ok just joking. Yes will be interesting to see the results versus the Flysurfer race kites. Big pat on the back to Steffan how his kites have evolved from the hummble beginnings of the NWP5’s. He is clearly putting the profits back into research and development of his kites.

On 5/10/2018 at 6:34 PM, SoutherlyBuster said:

Looks like kite price is proportional to aspect ratio, hmm next step, a gizillion for a ribbon kite, ok just joking. Yes will be interesting to see the results versus the Flysurfer race kites. Big pat on the back to Steffan how his kites have evolved from the hummble beginnings of the NWP5’s. He is clearly putting the profits back into research and development of his kites.

The RS kites have a lot more nose support stiffeners and sections that need sewing for comparable sized kites across the RS vs LS2 lines. Steffen also let me know that the bridle material used in the RSs costs about twice that of the simple nylon string used on the LS2s. So, I suspect labor and material cost both play into his cost structure to a greater extent than a supposed premium markup. 

I've decided to evolve my Born-Kite quiver on the large end.  While providing ample grunt in low wind conditions, my 9.5 and 12.5m LS2s just turned too slow for my liking.  I got some short use of the 5.0 and 9.0m RSs recently and found them to be far more maneuverable. I decided to sell my 9.5 and 12.5m LS2s and pick up 9.0 and 11.0m RSs to take their place as my low wind "Session Savers". 

I cant wait to unfold the 11m; with it's 6:1 AR it will be over 8m long. Yikes!  Now just to endur the endless wait for DHL packages to make their way across the Atlantic and get ridden out to Utah by Pony Express. 

On 11/05/2018 at 12:07 AM, plummet said:

Seems a shame to just stare and them and not use them..... Send em down to me and :crazypilot:i'll fly them for you while your back heals up. You can live vicariously through me

Backs healing up fine.... should be good to go in a few weeks. Just in time for the Blue Balls. 

3 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

Stephan pushing the limits again

LEIs?  We don't need no stinkin LEIs!  Could be a whole other story of course if you drop a tip in the water. Doh!

18 hours ago, Tiger37 said:

@BigTone you lucky thing! Look forward to hearing your report. I’m still interested in replacing my aging Peak 1 9m with one of these beauties!

An outstanding notion!  I'm in the process of selling my 9.5m and 12.5m LongStar2s and upgrading to 9.0 and 11.0 RaceStars.  The vast majority of my flying is on a rock hard, low rolling resistance playa surface (Lake Ivanpah) and when these big kites are the right selection the wind is extremely light.  I've found in those conditions that the LS2s (and previously when I owned 9 and 12m Peak2s) were slower to react to pilot input than I cared for and didn't have all that good upwind performance.  The big RSs in light wind still behave pretty responsively (much more so than big Peaks or LongStars) and are fun to fly in those conditions.  I flew the 5m RS on Ivanpah in higher winds and I got spooked; in those higher wind conditions the lower AR LongStars suited me better.

Got to fly the 5 (and the 7 after I’d got it back off Plummet) at the BlueBalls Buggy Bash this weekend. Gotta say Steffen has out done himself with these. The new bridles alone are worth it, no more single skin spaghetti, but the Racestars are definitely a great kite. I had a blast with the 5 most of the weekend but the 7 I think is my new favourite kite. Smooth power buildup, plenty of grunt, brilliant upwind and they go like cut cats. And that’s in the dunes, can’t wait to try them on a flat beach.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Got to fly the 5 (and the 7 after I’d got it back off Plummet) at the BlueBalls Buggy Bash this weekend. Gotta say Steffen has out done himself with these. The new bridles alone are worth it, no more single skin spaghetti, but the Racestars are definitely a great kite. I had a blast with the 5 most of the weekend but the 7 I think is my new favourite kite. Smooth power buildup, plenty of grunt, brilliant upwind and they go like cut cats. And that’s in the dunes, can’t wait to try them on a flat beach.

Ok, You have my attention.

Ok here's my review. 

Tony had the kites set up on an ozone bar. Out of the box we had to put some rear line extensions on (which is recommended). This got the kite flying in the right without too much back stall. 

First up I flew the 5m. That was a fun kite. It flew like a normal traction kite but also you could stall and pivot loop it easy for some aerial gymnastics while flying. Upwind was good. Better than my lei's but not as good as my Chrono. 

The 7m was less pivot turney and flew slower as you would expect with a bigger kite. My gut feeling was that I wanted a bigger bar on the 7m. 

Power per meter squared was similar to a fixed bridle.  The 7m was a similar output to my 10m lei. Power delivery was smooth, the kite lacked punch until you got some ground speed up then you felt the power and speed turn on smoothly. 

The kite really likes to pivot turn. Which means it looses power through the turns, but it does a tight radius turn for it's size. To do a powered turn you need to ensure line tension on both steering lines. It's a technique that would take a little while to master on each size kite. If you like powered turns this is the only real down side I found on the kite. 

Running down wind slack lining the kite showed good drift. It simply floated back in the window without bow tieing. 

Letting the bar go when powered up would depower the kite and make the trailing edge flat. 

Bridlles follow a standard methodology and there's a normal 2 pulley speed system. The speed system isn't adjustable and the bridles running through the pullies are a little skinny for my liking. I would mod the speed system with thicker bridlles and make it adjustable.

All in all I enjoyed flying the kites and think they make a great buggy engine. I would buy I set for adventure riding sand dunes if I had the cash. 

Finally got my finger out and wrote a review of the Racestar.

Also, had another great session with the 5 and 7 meter RS's over the weekend. Absolutely loving these kites. Got a mate who's very new to buggying and who's only other experience with a depower resulted in him being dragged face first up a dune for 20 meters while I yelled for him to let go of the bar (Which was hilarious to watch, but left him a little weary of kites with bars to say the least). I managed to coax him into trying the 5m RaceStar and he found it incredibly effortless to fly. So much so that i didn't get the kite back for a few hours while he zoomed about the place with a huge grin on his face.

So I got to fly my 9 and 11meter Racestars this weekend. I'm just loving these kites. My friend Rik, who is relatively new to buggying was on the 5, then graduated to the 7 and even the 9 m as the wind dropped to about 5 knots. And found them all easy to fly - (although there was the odd brown trouser moment when the odd gust blew through when he was on the 7.)

Oddly I've found that the 7 meter like a 55cm bar but the 5, 9 and 11 are perfectly happy on the 50cm. (But that could change when the wind picks up a bit.)

The only downside to these kites fro me is that im getting less and less inclined to fly my beloved foils anymore.