Sign in to follow this  
RedSky

The Need For Speed

9 hours ago, Tiger37 said:

Pretty strong winds! Thanks for sharing. Which beach is that?

It is my local beach, Camber, southeast England, more widely known as Cambersands. :)

Winds were 45mph gusting 60.

Thankyou for watching. Hope it had some entertainment value. 

5 hours ago, RedSky said:

It is my local beach, Camber, southeast England, more widely known as Cambersands. :)

Winds were 45mph gusting 60.

Thankyou for watching. Hope it had some entertainment value. 

Thanks @RedSky. I know Cambersands well. I'm from the U.K. and we had our honeymoon at Rye. I spent many days on the ranges at Lydd so I know what a windswept place it is. 

4 hours ago, igeighty said:

Balls of steel, great video and a fantastic look at the acceleration you where subject to with that overlay, 

top effort mate. 

Thanks igeighty, yeah I'm loving the overlays too. It was Jase Shepperd's video Solo Ride where I first saw it in use and thought what a great idea. 

2 hours ago, Tiger37 said:

Thanks @RedSky. I know Cambersands well. I'm from the U.K. and we had our honeymoon at Rye. I spent many days on the ranges at Lydd so I know what a windswept place it is. 

Wow, I did not expect anyone on Extreme Kites to be familiar with Cambersands especially the ranges. Rye is very picturesque I can see why you chose it for your honeymoon. Cheers 

1 hour ago, Mfwetu said:

64 mph = 103 kph !!!  :hatsoff:

Thanks! It was a good test for the GoPro's GPS accuracy, considering its a camera. It gave a fleeting 64mph but the two dedicated Garmin GPS units gave 63.0mph and 62.9mph. I'd say that's plenty close enough to convey speed for video purposes.

Whoop whoooop! hell yeah. That's what I'm talking about. 

Now  on a side note I'm not sure you have enough triangulation in your rear axles!  Maybe you could mount a couple of these to your buggy. 

eiffel-sideways.jpg?crop=1xw:0.911392405

Great video... love the acceleration 👍👍👍.

see you’re on beachracers as well. What kite are you running?

we are hanging to crack the 100km/hr but can’t get anywhere near that, seem to hit the 70km/hr then it seems a lot of the power is pulling buggy sideways and thus losing speed.. what’s the go🤔... just need to grow bigger balls????  Really  don’t need another flight of bewilderment and pain to find out 👍😳

14 hours ago, plummet said:

Whoop whoooop! hell yeah. That's what I'm talking about. 

Now  on a side note I'm not sure you have enough triangulation in your rear axles!  Maybe you could mount a couple of these to your buggy. 

Great. Now I can't look at my bug anymore without seeing the Eiffel Tower.

10 hours ago, Jase Shepperd said:

we are hanging to crack the 100km/hr but can’t get anywhere near that, seem to hit the 70km/hr then it seems a lot of the power is pulling buggy sideways and thus losing speed.. what’s the go🤔... just need to grow bigger balls????  Really  don’t need another flight of bewilderment and pain to find out 👍😳

5 hours ago, Jase Shepperd said:

Thanks Jase!

I was running an 8m Genetrix Hydra.

I'm no expert. I'm constantly messing with the setup and testing new ideas but it seems that I have hit a brick wall too.

Long Version

Its likely that location dictates whats possible, except we can't know whats possible unless we push the limits.

I'm certain that my location will never give me 80mph in the buggy. I'd have to relocate else where for that.

I believe that our beaches have an inherent upper speed limit. Yours may fall below 100kph and no amount of advice will help you go any faster. Hopefully that's not the case.

My beach is narrow and short, therefore I have little choice but to ride in fairly breezy conditions in order to get the power down early. Your location may call for a completely different approach. What applies here may not necessarily apply there. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but your beach looks even narrower than mine. Yet I noticed that there are no 180 turns in your GPS path data, so I'm assuming your beach is lengthy?  Your options may solely rely on flying a smaller kite in much higher winds.

You're flying a 9m SS Rev with a 30knt range? Perhaps its that upper 30kt range that's holding you back.

What's the highest wind speeds you've seen at your beach and how often can you expect them to come ashore ?

Your equipment needs to be optimized for those higher winds. The official wind range has your 9m Rev topping out  at 30knots with trim applied?.. without trim applied I'm guessing your kite tops out somewhere in 25-27knts range.

The reason I ask this is because, for speed runs, you want to avoid applying any depower. You'll notice that my kite is always fully lit, both on the trim and bar. I'm almost hanging on with my finger tips. You only sheet out to slow down. Its uncomfortable sure but it is what it is.

So I'm kinda doubtful that your fully lit wind range of 25knts will give you 100kph in the bug at your location. Do tell me if I'm coming across as an arse. 

You may need to downsize or find another kite with a larger range and one that you can safely ride in high winds without ever trimming the kite for depower or sheeting the bar out. Doesn't have to be all the way in, but close enough. You need to let the kite breath a little if it's starting to choke.

Short version

To conclude, I'd recommend a kite with an upper wind range of at least 40knts or at least a kite capable of easily doing so and flying that kite in a 35knt wind. Then you should easily get to 100. That is if you get 35kt winds of course.

Might be worth looking on ebay for a cheap 5m Best Warro and using that in high winds. I can vouch for its ability to go beyond the official range.

Flight of Bewilderment - Now there's great video title :D

17 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I'll gladly lend you the title without royalties if you can beat my stack and subsequent injuries...... but we gotta see the video as proof 

Flight of Bewilderment - Now there's great video title :D

On 1/27/2018 at 9:13 AM, Jase Shepperd said:

I'll gladly lend you the title without royalties if you can beat my stack and subsequent injuries...... but we gotta see the video as proof 

You win :)

2 minutes ago, Juan Valdez said:

100km/h on a beach without goggles? RESPECT!!!:blackeye:

I've been absent for a good few years. Its great to experience riding the bug again but yeah, I don't miss the sand in my eyes.

Will have to invest in a pair of goggles that don't steam up.