Andrew

WTB Framed Quad

Hi new to forum.  Have flown dual line kites in form of delta and foils several years ago, recently bought a 3 line foil to teach wife to fly so we can do some kite boarding.  My interest in kites has been renewed and I am now looking to purchase a Framed Quad suitable for a confident beginner.

I live in Perth Western Australia and prefer to deal with a local supplier, any suggestions?

Also happy to buy secondhand, if someone has something they no longer fly.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Hi southerly buster, you are correct, I am hoping to find  a Rev or similar. Have been reading through recommendations on forum and noticed that a lot of the posts are 3 to 4 years old so not sure as to what to look for and where to get it. I like to support local but the place I got my last set of kites no longer exists. 

G'day and welcome.

Unfortunately there are no "local" suppliers here in Perth. There are 2 guys make quads in Australia, Kevin Sanders in SA and Baz Poulter in Qld. They are proper kite makers in all sense and produce great kites. 

If interested, best look at second hand Revs or even Freiling (spelling?) kites. What part of Perth are you? I'm SOR but tend to wander to fly. I'm usually out on a Friday after work. I have a suite of Revs that you can have a try one. Try before you buy do to speak.

Thanks Rob,

What time do you fly and where do you go.  I live in Perth Hills out Kalamunda way and work in Welshpool.  

What is best place to find secondhand kites?  I've been keeping an eye on Gumtree but have not come across anything yet.

Cheers

Andrew

Never seen a Rev on gumtree. Mostly come up on kite forums. Kitelife.com or revkites.com are active markets however most are ex US. I work in HAZELMERE which is close to Welshpool. Live in KELMSCOTT. Fly a lot at Champions Lake rowing place. See if we can organise a fly and I'll give you some time on the lines. 

Be warned, revs are a little addictive. 

14 hours ago, SparkieRob said:

If interested, best look at second hand Revs or even Freiling (spelling?) kites.

"Freilein" - Chinese manufactured.  They are very well made, and a very realistic price range.

A few of the South Aussie flyers have bought them from ebay and aliexpress.  Very happy with them.

3 hours ago, KaoS said:

"Freilein" - Chinese manufactured.  They are very well made, and a very realistic price range.

A few of the South Aussie flyers have bought them from ebay and aliexpress.  Very happy with them.

Totally agree Kevin.

I have 3 Freilein quads (standard, X vent and an original model "Storm vent" (which I really love. It flies much better than my Revolution full vent) 

Their spars are a bit softer and they only use the same spars on each model kite. T2 Crystal.

T2 do work well though, as it spills the air better on the storm vent and everyone that's flown it loves it.

Line set isn't quite up to "Laser Pro gold" standard but still works very well for the money.

The sewing is impeccable not a thread out of place. Really impressive build!!!!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Professional-7-9ft-Quad-Line-Stunt-Kite-with-Sting-Handles-Set-for-Outdoor-Play/182552478501?hash=item2a80f9c325:m:mnN6K2AxT0n8lVQJ4TEroXQ

NOTE: 4 wrap Revolution rods wont fit into Freilein endcaps. They do go in, but are almost impossible to remove. I had to use hot water to soften the caps first to get rod out.

4 hours ago, Chook said:

Totally agree Kevin.

I have 3 Freilein quads (standard, X vent and an original model "Storm vent" (which I really love. It flies much better than my Revolution full vent) 

Their spars are a bit softer and they only use the same spars on each model kite. T2 Crystal.

T2 do work well though, as it spills the air better on the storm vent and everyone that's flown it loves it.

I totally agree about the "Storm vent".  In fact I sold my Rev Xtra vent because I think the Storm is a much better kite.

Thanks for the responses, I'm leaning towards an unvented kite.  I'm the sort of guy that decides to go kite boarding and the weather turns out to be beautiful for wake boarding.

Had a look at the 2 Kite makers recommended earlier they have some magnificent looking offerings, they will be something that I aspire to. Don't really want to learn on a work of art.  Would however like to add one to the collection once my skills are up to it, I'm assuming they are made for flying not just to look at.

I am going to check out the sites mentioned in your replies.

Thanks.

There's a new quad coming out in a couple of months that will be full of awesomeness! From Kiteforge which is the company John Barresi started. But in the meantime, we'll meet up and have a spin on the various sails I have. There are a couple of retailers on the east coast that sell revs new but due to being the end of the season choices may be limited. 

Don't worry too much about sticker shock, that goes away pretty quickly...

Sent you a private message with contact details.

11 hours ago, SparkieRob said:

There's a new quad coming out in a couple of months that will be full of awesomeness! From Kiteforge which is the company John Barresi started.

I would caution getting too excited.  There's always a lot of hype surrounding John's upcoming creations, especially as John can make them look fantastic in his teaser vids. (He is a VERY accomplished flyer, remember). 

It looks to be another Rev variant, albeit with tweaks.  But the proof is always in the pudding, and his Kymera turned out to be, shall we say, ... an acquired taste ...not the sort of pudding that many people liked.