Sign in to follow this  
plummet

Project speed

1 hour ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

Perhaps some circumferential grooves needed?

Maybe. Maybe not. Grooves do add some lateral grip. The sacrifice is that sliding is worse. Smooth slides real nice. Ill prove the concept first, then down the track I might lay my hands on some wets which have tread.

Those look spectacular, plummet, hope you find the rest of the set.

I recently rigged up my core-90 with granny wheels, thanks to you. But of course - work, weather, etc... haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I'm hoping for a little less face planting in the soft sand.

So what holds you back from doing 100kph on the grannies? Do the larger wheels stop the wobblies?

Grannies are not overly round and wobble like hell at speed. 60+ kph and all 4 wheels are bouncing up and down off the sand. The are sweet up to 60 kph and to be honest still controllable ar 60+. But gokart wheels are speed rated,  the karting guys a regularly doing 130 kph with no wobble. 

So.... the theory goes that if i have a well ballanced wheel combined with wind/beach combo i should be able to haul arse. also the wider footprint might help me do more dune boarding. 

ebay bearings or ordered. So next up ill do a test with half granny half kart wheels. If they are good ill procure the second set of rims/tyres. 

23 hours ago, andy666 said:

Looking good @plummet

This is what you have to beat, 99.62km/h. You guys are insane :crazypilot: 

Yeah I know. My pb with wonky grannies is 65. I've got a long way to go to get 100kph. But let's see...... Only one way to find out.

On 22/03/2018 at 6:19 PM, plummet said:

Ive ordered one of these suits for ultimate speed.....

185099b36c9c598a459faabf7eab2288--latex-suit-sexy-latex.jpg

Don't laugh about this too hard as you are going to need it.

I used a full wet suit and dive booties in my kitebike WR 95.6 kmh to reduce drag

9 hours ago, andy666 said:

Looking good. Are they the same O.D. As the grannies?

Very similar.

9 hours ago, gannet said:

Don't laugh about this too hard as you are going to need it.

I used a full wet suit and dive booties in my kitebike WR 95.6 kmh to reduce drag

Oh I'm laughing alright. I'm thinking leathers might be a good idea!

Heya @plummet! Did you end up getting the other 2 wheels? Break the sound barrier yet?

Have to say, the grannies made a HUGE difference in my comfort level. No more worry about plowing my shoulder into the sand. I've noticed it start to get unstable at around 20-25mph, might need to tighten the trucks even more, or figure out a way to lower the deck. But I've since also acquired a Haize, and can now plow through soft spots AND move fast without wobbles. Amazing cruiser board. No idea what the upper limit on the thing is though, still taking it one step at a time. 

Pulling for you to bring that speed record back to NZ where it belongs!

@bakersdozen and @plummet you guys would like Flexboardz. They're unfortunately not around anymore. They're spectacular for going fast and cruisey turns and very stable, but heavy and not the greatest for jumping. Even though they're pretty solid, I think the weight breaks them if you come down too hard. I think the only difference between the 3 models is the wheel size, the Haize being 9". I was thinking of putting the grannies on it, but no real need right now, the 9" tires work great.

Chad (from PKF) has a bunch of old videos kiting with one: https://vimeo.com/37216443 or  https://vimeo.com/35670612