Sign in to follow this  
SoutherlyBuster

How not to paraglide

They need to invest in a weed whacker and chainsaw there. That rotor wrapping around the left is pretty damn sketchy, they should have way more airspeed to cut through that. I noticed there was 1 guy who blew it 3 times in a row... I'd definitely consider revoking his card. At least they had soft landings. 

Well, they're all speaking Japanese so I guess it's Japan, and you've a license for everything here -- even jet skis. Doesn't mean they've any skill with the gear though...

They're pretty notorious here. The PPG boys are worse -- they like to buzz the kite beaches too.

Back when I was hang gliding (in the US), you had to have certification, 4 levels, 5 was instructor. But since it was (is?) self regulating, there wasn't much they could do except kick you off of regulated launches. I never met anyone in 15 years that didn't have a card though. Having said that, there were always people launching at spots or in conditions they shouldn't, and it was up to the other folks around with higher ratings to allow a launch. Pretty much a collective failure at that site :)

At least that spot didn't seem particularly deadly for a paraglider. If that were hang gliders crashing like that no one would be laughing. The fireball from the explosion would take out half the crowd. :crazypilot:(ok, no explosions, but there would certainly be a lot of broken bones...)

I kept on thinking Vlad the Impalor with all those bamboo poles, must have tops soft and springy enough not to do serious harm, or perhaps just luck of the draw. I suppose Darwin’s theory will sort it out in the end. Interesting to hear the comments from the Paraglider pilots that know what they are doing.

So the licenses in Japan are then just a money making exercise and or to put sense of false security into the insurance companies?

No, bamboo is a grass so they taper towards the top and get busy in the last few feet. Dropping onto them would be no worse than trees and flying into them may be fine, as I don't think they're too deeply rooted.

Jet ski and boat licenses surely teach people nothing about safety. I don't know about the PG licenses...

But like most activities here, no matter how retarded you behave it's not a problem until there's an accident.