Sign in to follow this  
RedSky

London to Perth ** Non Stop! **

15 hours ago, RedSky said:

I must be living in a cave. I had no idea this was possible.  Warning, the video is over 17 hours long :P

I was sometime this month @RedSky that they announced this was the go - however the trip from Perth to the East Coast is not cheap if your travelling with International Weight limits. 

A few years ago there was an Australian Rules Football game being held over in WA, (I think it was to determine the grand final teams, or something big in the sport), anyway, it was actually cheaper to buy a return ticket to London than it was to fly over to the other side of Australia!

8 minutes ago, Mez said:

I was sometime this month @RedSky that they announced this was the go - however the trip from Perth to the East Coast is not cheap if your travelling with International Weight limits. 

A few years ago there was an Australian Rules Football game being held over in WA, (I think it was to determine the grand final teams, or something big in the sport), anyway, it was actually cheaper to buy a return ticket to London than it was to fly over to the other side of Australia!

That's messed up. Maybe they use smaller planes for internal flights and thus space comes at a premium. The idea that I can fly direct to Perth from London is a game changer. I've always wanted to take the buggy down under without all the hassle, and risk losing my stuff along the way.

On 17/04/2018 at 6:20 AM, RedSky said:

That's messed up. Maybe they use smaller planes for internal flights and thus space comes at a premium. The idea that I can fly direct to Perth from London is a game changer. I've always wanted to take the buggy down under without all the hassle, and risk losing my stuff along the way.

Yep, look into hiring a van and travel with the buggy. Let us know when you head over as we have riders from WA, along the south coast to Victoria, then up the east coast, so plenty of guys who will show you the best spots and will become life long friends. 

That trip is on my very short bucket list. It may take some years or it may not but either way I'll be sure to let you guys know. :)

The non-stop flight makes it much more doable. 

I envy you. I wish I could have slept through it, unfortunately I've never been able to get comfortable in economy. Hopefully someone will record the return leg in first class so I can gently fall asleep while watching.  

Want to get on the plane, going the other way now. That made me a little home sick.

Nice to hear at the end that it will be the connecting flight onto Melbourne. No messing around with the big luggage. 

$956 one way (on sale) Melbourne to London (via Perth) 

From QANTAS 

~When travelling London Heathrow to Melbourne on QF10 and QF9, one free stopover is permitted in Perth in each direction. Onward travel to and from Melbourne must be on QF10/QF09.

Not sure how long the stop over is for flights onto Melbourne but I guess if their giving you one stop over, you could spend a few nights in Perth and make sure your on a QF10/9 to get home. 

Great price! I decided a few years back that if I ever have to fly long haul again, that I'd do it in either business or first class, even if that means taking some years to save the cash. My last return trip from Australia had me sitting next to the kitchen galley at the back of the plane for 14hrs. I vowed never to travel that way again.

I'm excited about the possibility of a road trip from Perth to Melbourne.  I'd stop off at Lake Lefroy on my way.

Other than Lefroy, where else in Australia is epic buggy action to be had ?

Yeppoon, Qld

Stockton Beach, Newcastle, NSW

Sandy Point/Waratah Bay/Shallow Inlet, VIC

13th Beach, Barwon Heads, VIC

Multiple places around Port Douglas, SA

Kingston (beach and clay pan), SA

The stretch from Lighthouse Beach to Lake Cathie, Port Macquarie, NSW

To name a few, but I guess thats all I know of.

Thanks! I've decided that the road trip will start from Perth, head out to Lake Lefroy, then Kingston, 13th beach and Sandy Point then do it all in reverse. I'll be there as soon as I save the monies.  I've driven the coastal road from Melbourne to Adelaide in 2009 and must have past Kingston without realizing it was a buggy spot. Shame, as I had my Blade 4.9 with me. Very picturesque route!  Would love to do it again. Something to save for.

Can't find Port Douglas in SA. DId you mean QL ?

Open question to all. ( don't want to keep bothering you Mez ) :)

When is best time of year for buggy action both in WA and SA ? 

I meant Port Lincoln SA (not Port Douglas) But both have good buggy beaches :)

@Chook will be the best one to answer your question about the best time of year in WA. Although as for Chook, any time after work is a good time :)

As for SA @roblukin is your man! He is by far the most travelled kite buggier on the forum (if not the world)

Thanks for answering all my questions. You seriously got me thinking about this trip. If it happens then it won't be for a coupe of years unfortunately. I need to save hard, but what a trip it will be!!

I'll give Chook and roblukin a nudge when the time gets close. Thanks!

Tom