Sign in to follow this  
windstruck

IBX 2018 Born-Kite Style!

Here's a quick video I pulled together from IBX 2018 earlier this month on the Ivanpah Dry Lake Bed on the border of CA and NV in the Southwestern USA.  Great time, great people, and a great event!!!  This video ended up becoming a bit of a Born-Kite love fest because I only had helmet cam footage and I was only flying Born kites this year.  Hope you enjoy it!

Great video. Its good to see some people's footage of IBX this year.  I wish I had made the time... 

It's amazing the long reaches that you can do on a dry lake bed vs a beach with less than optimal wind directions.   I'm hoping to make it to Oregon's dry lake bed (Alvord) sometime this summer to try out some playa. 

9 hours ago, windstruck said:

Here's a quick video I pulled together from IBX 2018 earlier this month on the Ivanpah Dry Lake Bed on the border of CA and NV in the Southwestern USA.  Great time, great people, and a great event!!!  This video ended up becoming a bit of a Born-Kite love fest because I only had helmet cam footage and I was only flying Born kites this year.  Hope you enjoy it!

Thank you for an entertaining and instructive video of what looks like a great meet. I'm quite jealous and would like to attend one day if at all possible. As another BornKite fan, I was particularly interested to note the obvious difference in aspect ratio of LongStar2 and RaceStar. Coupled with your previous comments on your first impression of RaceStar this was very informative. Thank you. I now have to make a decision as to which one I purchase to replacing my 9m Peak 1! And I agree - great sunset at the end. Thanks @windstruck

15 minutes ago, Tiger37 said:

Thank you for an entertaining and instructive video of what looks like a great meet. I'm quite jealous and would like to attend one day if at all possible. As another BornKite fan, I was particularly interested to note the obvious difference in aspect ratio of LongStar2 and RaceStar. Coupled with your previous comments on your first impression of RaceStar this was very informative. Thank you. I now have to make a decision as to which one I purchase to replacing my 9m Peak 1! And I agree - great sunset at the end. Thanks @windstruck

@Tiger37 Thank you kindly sir!  IBX is truly a fun event.  My rookie video hardly does it justice.  The whole LS2 versus RS thing is certainly a matter of personal preference.  The newer RS kites have some nice new bridling using a line material exclusive to Born-Kites.  It is a little bit stiffer and somewhat less prone to tangling.  In some back and forth with Steffen he mentioned that this bridle line material would likely make its way into his entire line of DP kites eventually.  Hard to know when that might be (if ever) as that would likely mean advancing the line numbers (LS2 to LS3, etc.).  There is a cost factor in play here which can affect things.  You'll see of course that the RSs are size for size more expensive than the LS2s which may certainly factor in. 

One thing to think about is that in light wind conditions the 9.5m and especially the 12.5m LS2s are quite slow turners.  Tons of grunt but sort of like turning barges.  The 9.0m RS turns on a dime.  It pulls hard in light wind and could well be a contender in your book.  Rolling surface makes a big difference here.  The Ivanpah playa has extremely low rolling resistance and it is possible to get going pretty fast quickly with the big kites.  If the wind picks up with one of the big ladies in the air that is a whole lot to contend with.  A higher rolling resistance surface like sand or grass would allow you to run the larger kites in more wind and get more response out of them.  It is sort of tricky on Ivanpah with these big kites.  Most of the times I've been there for multiple days the wind has either been blowing far too hard to even dream of putting up my big ladies or it is light and variable.  Not seen in the video I showed was huge amounts of time with these big girls sitting on the ground in complete lulls.  You'll notice during the big kite shots how few people are out; they were smarter than me!

I'd give the 9.0m RS a good look if you truly need to replace your 9.0m P1.  Vroom!