Sign in to follow this  
SoutherlyBuster

It’s not my problem. Worrying trend.

A highly recommend watch. Kiter down incapacitated for an hour, plenty of other kiters near by and none of them gave assistance — not my proble attiude perhaps? This is a worrying trend that needs to be reversed. A recue boat in the end saved the day. A right mind set of not to panic, saved Gunnar in the end.

You can drown in a pool full of people as its very hard to recognize someone in trouble.

I nearly drowned in Bali back in 97. Rip tide dragged me out and I got pummeled my huge crashing waves, again and again and again.

Came up gasping for air each time. My lungs ached as I filled them to capacity before the next wave sent my down deep. The beach was crowed with Aussie holiday makers that day, yet I was dying. I remember waving to this guy for help. He was standing at the shore holding the hand of his young son. They were pointing directly at me but did nothing. They slowly turned and walked away. One of the most lonely experiences of my life.

I don't blame them. I suspect that they never actually saw me against the monster surf, or simply did not recognize the signs. I still often think about that day. My own fault for swimming when the red flags were flying I guess.

Messing about on the water is far riskier than people give it credit. This guy has had a wake up call. The water may be busy with kitesurfers, but when the shit hits the fan, you'd do well to assume that you're on your own or you'll waste valuable time.

Be prepared.

As I said on kiteforum you cannot rely on random others to save you.  At hydrofoil speeds and upwind angles you are very quickly out of immediate veiw and too far to easily swim in. 

We need to take our own rescue into your own hands. Epirb, whistle, hand held  2 way radio, cell pH in a water proof case.

I don't have any of those things yet. But I intend to get an epirb at the least.  Particularly for those times I'm well away from the croud.

As I said on kiteforum you cannot rely on random others to save you.  At hydrofoil speeds and upwind angles you are very quickly out of immediate veiw and too far to easily swim in. 

We need to take our own rescue into your own hands. Epirb, whistle, hand held  2 way radio, cell pH in a water proof case.

I don't have any of those things yet. But I intend to get an epirb at the least.  Particularly for those times I'm well away from the croud.

I remember when i was a young lad and got caught in a rip, put my hand up to signal to the life guards I was in trouble, no reaction and i was on a parolled beach. So had to go with the flow and do my best when coming back to shore on the rocks of the point break. I don’t blame any one, just lesson to be calm, do not panic and sort out your own rescue plan.

Still a good video from Gunnar to remind us all to keep an eye out for others and if some thing looks astray, kite over and see if you can help. Quite often just a kiter near by asking if you are ok, can calm the stricken kiter to make the right choices. Yes agree, don’t rely on others to get you out of trouble, but why not help if you can.

My son and I are always keeping an eye on each other when we are kiting out on the ocean. Again not to panic and making sound decisions when the @#$&$#443 hits the fan.

Well the only thing I like to kitesurf with is a $20 note so I can catch a cab back to my car when I get blown in the wrong direction Wellington point is a good example. 

I did have a baby experience once at Conway beach when I kiteboarded a long way out to sea and snapped a line and had to swim back it took 5 hours  to get back and I was no longer in Conway I ended up on Long Island and to top it off I didn’t tell anyone I was going out that day. 

Points to note before going kitesurfing

.tell a friend Your going Ore Have a friend with you that can help you in need. 

Best advice is to get the new Apple Watch that can call someone to come get you . No point getting a 2 way radio as it’s old tech .