Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tiger37

HELP! Ozone Chrono bridle

Recommended Posts

Hi folks. I have recently purchased a second hand 2015 Chrono from the US. I am confused by the speed system and the attachments for the control lines as one has the normal knot at the end of the bridle line to attach the larkspur knot from the control line but the other has the small loop that forms a larkspur knot. Am I missing a pig tail or something? Photos below. Any advice from you Chrono experts would be appreciated as I don’t want to connect this beast to my harness and find I have serious control problems! Thanks

 

 C0939C83-167C-43C7-AD58-F4DB4EAF6ADE.thumb.jpeg.d4d00e361f832edfaf2ee9340d145c9e.jpegFD68E3C4-C774-4D70-9F8E-2C762E9FE68E.thumb.jpeg.2dfafef6358fb568ce3f3c2325bd962b.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

Kook-proof connectors. Your bar should have the mirror image tails. Standard on most kites...

@Kamikuza many thanks but I’m hoping to use a generic 4 line depower control bar which has 4 equal length lines each with the larkspur loop connector. So I guess I just tie a knot in the end of the loop end of the Chrono speed system? Advice appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy or make equal length pigtails that all end in knots or rings or connectors.

What size/color did you get? I *almost* pulled the trigger on an 18, but ended up with Speed 3s instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jeffnyc said:

You can buy or make equal length pigtails that all end in knots or rings or connectors.

What size/color did you get? I *almost* pulled the trigger on an 18, but ended up with Speed 3s instead.

Thanks - it’s a lime green 15m!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tiger37 said:

@Kamikuza many thanks but I’m hoping to use a generic 4 line depower control bar which has 4 equal length lines each with the larkspur loop connector. So I guess I just tie a knot in the end of the loop end of the Chrono speed system? Advice appreciated!

Huh?

Generic four-line bars aren't so generic -- some companies use loops on front lines, knots on rear and some the other way. A very few use all loops (the only one I can think of is Flysurfer).

Clearly, the Ozone bar will have front lines that terminate in a pigtail with a loop, and rear lines that terminate in a pigtail with knots.

The setup is complete as it is, you just need to provide a bar with the right pigtails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kamikuza Thanks and yup, fully understood. The bar I use for my other depower kites has 4 equal length lines all colour coded and all ending in loops. I think I have the solution to adapt the Chrono to my bar having searched my spare parts box and found these pigtails which if I extend the Chrono speed system by equal amounts on all 4 lines will hopefully work. Thanks for the advice. 

2A806868-6706-4A32-B5E7-38F4B0CDA671.thumb.jpeg.63f4ff23c99064d1c682054913c3cc27.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

Just out of curiosity, what brand is the bar?

It's a Totem bar that I purchased from Bornkites when I purchased my two Longstar 2 kites. Its a little different from this http://www.venturi-power.de/product_info.php?info=p274_ls-universal-control-bar.html which is the current bar on their website and like mine, is adjustable in length from 55 to 45 cm. You can see the colour coded line loop ends protected by small nylon sheaths. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tiger37 said:

It's a Totem bar that I purchased from Bornkites when I purchased my two Longstar 2 kites. Its a little different from this http://www.venturi-power.de/product_info.php?info=p274_ls-universal-control-bar.html which is the current bar on their website and like mine, is adjustable in length from 55 to 45 cm. You can see the colour coded line loop ends protected by small nylon sheaths. 

If you use the bar on other kites (shudder) then splice up a pair of pigtails and change it on the kite's bridle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

If you use the bar on other kites (shudder) then splice up a pair of pigtails and change it on the kite's bridle.

Thanks. Yes that’s my plan re pigtails but why do you say “shudder”? The bar should be ok with any kite that flies on equal length lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

Cos I hate mixing brands of bars and kites :D

Well, stuff usually gets designed and tested together. Although I can understand you not wanting to use an Ozone bar...

12 hours ago, andy666 said:

I hate removing bars from bridled foil kites. I just leave the bar and lines attached to my flysurfers when I pack them up. 

Same. There's even some people who leave their lines on tubes, but I tend to use only one or two sizes of bars so need move them around. Especially with the prices of bars these days...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tiger37 That bar looks fine. 2 things to check - I would make the throw a bit longer - it says 36cm on the diagram - I *believe* ozone is 40cm. You can even go a bit longer and adjust with the stopper ball if you wanted. If you have long gorilla arms I suggest the longer throw anyway :D My guess is the Chronos have more depower available than the kites the totem is made for. You'll obv need to make the steering line leaders longer as well to compensate - either add pigtails, or make new, clean leaders. Things start to look pretty frankenstein with all those pigtails.

The other is where the kite flags out to on the flag out line. If there's a stopper ball, make sure it's far enough up the line to accommodate the kite size. Pretty sure it's at least one kite length (measure kite tip to tip, then set your stopper up the line at least that distance).

So when Kamikuza is talking about the bars working with individual kites, those are the major differences, assuming FLS, 4 line equal. (oh - forgot bar length! - totem is adjustable, so prob you're fine) Flysurfer uses 4.5 line  - flag out is to a separate line that's spliced into the 4th line part way up. If that splice isn't far enough up the line, or your stopper ball isn't far enough your kite won't flag out fully. May or may not be a problem. With these systems you only get about 80% anyway (don't quote me on that number, it's something around there), and the full 5 line will be closer to 95%. Or even 100% in the case of the awesome ozone re-ride.

That's my man-splaining for the day. (and you probably already know all this, Tiger) Anyone feel free to jump on my sh*t if I got anything wrong :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jeffnyc thanks that’s really helpful. I may well have to try and get hold of a second hand ozone bar (anyone out there have one?), but I’d prefer not to if my totem bar works.  You make some great points about flag out and stopper distance. I’ve already fitted pigtails to adapt to my 4 line loop connectors but have not had a chance to fly the kite yet. I’ll check on the measurements you suggest first. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure thing! I couldn't find a decent stopper ball for my PL Navigator bar (seems the companies that used to distribute them in the US have stopped), so at this point I'm just using it without one. It doesn't matter if your bar slides all the way up, but can maybe cause more twists. On my arcs that's not really a problem, just more pulling to reset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tiger37 said:

@jeffnyc thanks that’s really helpful. I may well have to try and get hold of a second hand ozone bar (anyone out there have one?), but I’d prefer not to if my totem bar works.  You make some great points about flag out and stopper distance. I’ve already fitted pigtails to adapt to my 4 line loop connectors but have not had a chance to fly the kite yet. I’ll check on the measurements you suggest first. Thanks. 

One popped up just yesterday in a Facebook group I follow, but now I can't find it. kiteracing2hand has a few from a while back, but they're international so you might not like the prices...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jeffnyc said:

Sure thing! I couldn't find a decent stopper ball for my PL Navigator bar (seems the companies that used to distribute them in the US have stopped), so at this point I'm just using it without one. It doesn't matter if your bar slides all the way up, but can maybe cause more twists. On my arcs that's not really a problem, just more pulling to reset.

 I make up a 5th line safety for my arcs and instead of a stopper ball I just tie a small stainless steel ring onto the safety line. Just make sure it’s big enough that it can’t pull through the eye on the bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andy666 said:

 I make up a 5th line safety for my arcs and instead of a stopper ball I just tie a small stainless steel ring onto the safety line. Just make sure it’s big enough that it can’t pull through the eye on the bar.

Ah! That's what that ring was on the 5th line of the bar I got from you mate. I thought it was for adding a little weight so the 5th line hung down a little to sit out of the way if the 4 main lines. That may have just been a happy coincidence. Genius work either way 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

One popped up just yesterday in a Facebook group I follow, but now I can't find it. kiteracing2hand has a few from a while back, but they're international so you might not like the prices...

Yeah - they exist in Europe, just not here. Not too difficult to make with a short flattened screw and a small piece of rubber, and little plastic balls are easy to get at marine stores, so I'm not gonna worry about it. I think it was like 15 or 20 bucks to have one shipped. I don't think I need one that bad :D

6 hours ago, andy666 said:

 I make up a 5th line safety for my arcs and instead of a stopper ball I just tie a small stainless steel ring onto the safety line. Just make sure it’s big enough that it can’t pull through the eye on the bar.

Is it an actual 5th line, or did you do the Y to V conversion (Hardware Kiter has some instructions up in various places). I did that to mine, sounds very similar to what you did. I have a bungee that goes from leash/chicken loop, other end attached to ring, front line attached to that.  scratch that - I think I used a ball instead, the larks head of the bungee/front line doesn't travel through it, and it is stopped at the ring That's stopped at the V by another ring with the other front line. So ends up a regular old front line flag out.

What does your 5th line attach to? I think normally they fold the kite from bridles in the center, which doesn't sound very arc-like. Or did you do a mini-5th part way up the front line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×