Sign in to follow this  
Tiger37

HELP! Ozone Chrono bridle

2 hours ago, jeffnyc said:

Is it an actual 5th line, or did you do the Y to V conversion (Hardware Kiter has some instructions up in various places). I did that to mine, sounds very similar to what you did. I have a bungee that goes from leash/chicken loop, other end attached to ring, front line attached to that.  scratch that - I think I used a ball instead, the larks head of the bungee/front line doesn't travel through it, and it is stopped at the ring That's stopped at the V by another ring with the other front line. So ends up a regular old front line flag out.

What does your 5th line attach to? I think normally they fold the kite from bridles in the center, which doesn't sound very arc-like. Or did you do a mini-5th part way up the front line?

My bars are full 5th line, that I attach to one of the front line leaders on the kite. I also put the bungee section of the safety at the kite end so that it not get jammed in the bar.

I’ve worn all my ozone line sets out and replaced them with q-line pro and don’t use the stopper ball. The kite flags out well before it gets too far up the lines anyway when buggying. May be a different story on water though. 

I too wouldnt use the bar listed. It looks henious and unsafe, like a bar out 2005. You've spent the money on a decent kite. Back it with a high quality bar. Get one with a braking strop too.

PS most modern depower bars have the larks head and knot system.  

8 hours ago, plummet said:

I too wouldnt use the bar listed. It looks henious and unsafe, like a bar out 2005. You've spent the money on a decent kite. Back it with a high quality bar. Get one with a braking strop too.

@Tiger37 - just noticed - you have a mini 5th on that bar - so you need to check that you have a kite length before the mini 5th line attachment for full flag out. It says 6m on the diagram, I have no idea how long your Chrono is. So this gets slightly more complicated if you have to move the splice up and either lengthen or replace the mini 5th. 

Don't agree that the bar is heinous (will agree it's not the best looking on the market!)... the Nuke chickenloop is supposed to be pretty good, those bar ends aren't beautiful, but I would guess hold up, has LIROS lines, and looks like it has balls and stake rings to grab (can't tell from photos, but there are balls on the diagram). Adding a braking strop would be pretty simple at the ground stake rings (I like the stopper balls myself - strop is ok, but gets in the way sometimes). Would also be super easy to add some oh shit handles if you were so inclined. The cleat looks like it has a magnet attachment for excess rope which is handy, the double stopper ball is fine (I prefer no stopper atm, but I also don't do the kids of loooooong runs you guys do!).

On the downside, it does look like it's put together for smaller kites than the Chrono 15 though, so might take a couple mods to make it safe for the 15m. 

With all the awesome stuff you build, do you not make or modify your own bars @plummet?

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 3.05.04 PM.png

10 hours ago, plummet said:

PS most modern depower bars have the larks head and knot system.  

Thanks @plummet. I have fitted a brake strop to the bar attaching it to the metal rings. I kind of agree with you but the bar works very well with my Longstar2s and if possible I would like to use it rather than have to spend money on an Ozone bar. I accept that in the end I may have to :)

42 minutes ago, jeffnyc said:

@Tiger37 - just noticed - you have a mini 5th on that bar - so you need to check that you have a kite length before the mini 5th line attachment for full flag out. It says 6m on the diagram, I have no idea how long your Chrono is. So this gets slightly more complicated if you have to move the splice up and either lengthen or replace the mini 5th. 

Don't agree that the bar is heinous (will agree it's not the best looking on the market!)... the Nuke chickenloop is supposed to be pretty good, those bar ends aren't beautiful, but I would guess hold up, has LIROS lines, and looks like it has balls and stake rings to grab (can't tell from photos, but there are balls on the diagram). Adding a braking strop would be pretty simple at the ground stake rings (I like the stopper balls myself - strop is ok, but gets in the way sometimes). Would also be super easy to add some oh shit handles if you were so inclined. The cleat looks like it has a magnet attachment for excess rope which is handy, the double stopper ball is fine (I prefer no stopper atm, but I also don't do the kids of loooooong runs you guys do!).

On the downside, it does look like it's put together for smaller kites than the Chrono 15 though, so might take a couple mods to make it safe for the 15m. 

With all the awesome stuff you build, do you not make or modify your own bars @plummet?

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 3.05.04 PM.png

@jeffnyc once again thank you. That’s really helpful. As I mentioned to Plummet, I have fitted an Ozone brake between the metal stake rings. I still have not flown the kite with this bar yet. I’m beginning to get the feeling I may have to look out for a second hand Ozone bar! Any recommendations as to which bar I should look out for. There are a couple on Seabreeze. The main issue with me (as I guess with all of us) is safety so the fifth line length is important. Will let you all know how I progress.

Make sure you have equal line lengths. +31cm on the front lines wont work on the chrono. 

I should make my own bars. But havent yet. Maybe i will too soon as the price for a bar is damn stupid. 

I would also suggest you do a mixer and a bridle length check. 

For EXTENSIVE instructions and discussion read this thread on kiteforum. 

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2390593&hilit=chrono+speed+system

@plummet - thank you. Yes I do have equal length lines. Thanks for the link. I’ll check all the speed system lengths before I try flying the kite in low winds.I’m going to try and use my Totem bar with all the recommendations everybody has made. I’m not giving up yet but accept that I may have to go the Ozone bar way if things don’t fly well. As you say - the price of control bars is stupid! Cheers

16 hours ago, plummet said:

I should make my own bars. But havent yet. Maybe i will too soon as the price for a bar is damn stupid. 

Heh, besides the fact I just like to mess with my equipment, the stupid pricing (that seems to be getting worse!) is a huge motivator. I've finally got a bunch of parts in, but unfortunately work is starting up, so no time to finish building a couple carbon bars I started. But even being able to mod/clean up older bars has been great for me, sort of demystifying all the voodoo around why certain bars work or don't work.

Great link to the ozone mixer thread. I remember reading through it a while back, but good to get a refresher. Always find nuggets that relate to all kites reading through those.