Sign in to follow this  
twojaythomo

Ways to bring kids for a ride along.

Hey guys been a long while since posting and just starting to get the bug back after a couple of good sessions the last week.

Wanted to get ideas on how one would get my 6 year old along for a buggy ride. 

Cheers. 

Here is a photo of my setup (bring the kid and the dog.) My main buggy has a platform to sit on (and place your feet on the seat straps from the back of the seat.   The second smaller buggy is attached between the platform and the foot pegs on the second buggy.  

It appears I don't have any decent pictures of the connection to the second buggy.   I'll take some in the future. 

20181029_204501-resized-800.jpg

20180811_152707-resized-800.jpg

@twojaythomo @nigel has three buggys he connects together and a bike trailer for the littlest.  The bike trailer would be too small for a 6 yr old so you would need a second buggy to attach to yours. Nigel has an assortment of ways of attaching them which he can explain later. At the front he has his GT followed by his Libre (5 yr old gets this one so his feet don't accidently drop down at speed), attached to the Libre is the PL comp with a bike trailer attached to the back.

You will also need some decent goggles or at a minimum sun glasses for your passenger as a fair bit of sand gets flung onto your passenger and you want them to be comfortable so they enjoy the ride. Our kids use their bike helmets but I like my full face one as it keeps out the flying bits of sand.

There is a pic of the buggys all connected in the meets/events forum under Sandy Point summer 17/18 on the last page of the thread and if you zoom in you can see some of the connections

@twojaythomo welcome back to the forum!

First simple solution is to place junior on your legs, and just cruise around.

That is if they are small enough. 

Failing that, you will need either another buggy, or another form of "wheels".

Kids bike trailers are great when they are small, as the little ones can't escape, and they are fully sealed inside.

And against the manufacturers design rules (20kph max), I have had my bike trailer with a 3 year old in the back, at 50kph.

It was tested before putting in the 3 year old at 45 kph. 

So either a form of trailer or buggy will be your next options.

If your handy with a welder then a trailer can be a great option.

Doesn't have to be stainless, as it will not be used much, and if you are in to timber, you could make one out of that.

As long as it has a seat (seat belt optional), two rear wheels and the passenger knows (or can't) put their feet on the ground while the buggys going, all should be good.

Buggy's can be expensive if all you want to do tow around the little ones once in a blue moon.

Is there the option to borrow a buggy from another buggier??

If so. All you would need is a form of attachment.

There are many different ways to chose from.

Some cheap and nasty, to the fully CNC stainless options.

All require a way to fix onto the host buggy, fixing to the towed buggy and some form of flexible join.

In the pic below, there is the Libre setup on the top.

Libre buggys have a flat plate with a hole in them welded to the axle.

So the single big bolt goes in the Libre, and the bent arm ends loop around the foot pegs of the following buggy.

The arm flexes by the black rubber near the Libre, so any twisting or bending is catered for.

This can be removed very quickly, and has no modifications to the following buggy (as long as the foot pegs fit in the steel loops).

The second one down is the GT version.

The GT has no plate like the Libre, so they use two "U" style plates and bolt on to the axle, with a custom welded bolt and plate combination to cater for the movement.

The bent ends are designed to poke in to spare axle bolt holes on your front forks (none on PL buggys), I have added "R" clips so they cant drop out. 

And last is a very basic set up similar to what PL did in the beginning.

This requires you to remove the front wheel, and the sleve is put in place of the wheel in the fork.

PL made a small version of the GT knuckle joint and clamp style to attach it to the axle.

But this method is simpler, just lash the front wheel axle to the leading buggys axle.

I use an old bike tyre as not to scratch the axle too much, and I have about 2 meters of seat belt webbing that gets lashed and tied to the axle.

It doesn't need to be supper tight, as we want some movement, this is our flexible join.

I also put an occy strap on each side, from the side rail holes on the axle, to the outer of the foot pegs, so it can't twist too much. 

Hope you can figure all that out.

Ask away if you want more help.

And in the video above  (thanks @bakersdozen ) I have made a post that bolts onto the Libres flat plate, and on top has the attachment that connects the bike trailer via it's own arm.

It is raised to match the height as if a bike was towing it.

Made from mild steel, and spray painted.

Also if towing for the first time, take some time to get used to the feel of two buggys.

You will find it easier on both yourself and the passenger if you make wider turns, as you can jack knife the towing buggy if you turn tight or make aggressive movements.

You might also need a bigger kite as the extra weight of the passenger can hold you back.

Take small power scoops to get started, as we don't want you to do a super man as you take a huge bite of power to get going.

You can also start facing down wind, this should get you rolling better at first.

Good Luck :good:

20161210_092352.jpg

PB150230.JPG

PB030145.JPG

@Kathleen thanks for all the great info, I didnt even consider all the spray from my buggy something I need to think about too as for a new buggy well I might need to save up for a bit. 

@nigel wow thanks for the awesome write up some great information in there, I do have a welder not too great with it but I can make welds so I might head down the local junk shop and see what I can think up. 

I haven't seen anyone around here on buggies yet but I think that's just because it gets busy with not much room for it most of the time. 

12 minutes ago, twojaythomo said:

I do have a welder not too great with it but I can make welds so I might head down the local junk shop and see what I can think up. 

Awesome!! :good: