Sign in to follow this  
twojaythomo

Today I was kicked off the beach from mole beach patrol.

Today I was packing up when apparoched via the beach patrol, I was told not to use my buggy on the beach anymore, this was at Stockton beach north end. 

Then I asked can I use my mountain board which is like a skateboard with large wheels and they said no road rules apply, I didn't think mountain boards were band on roads.

My first impression was power trip with no concept of real road rules or am I in the wrong. 

I don't understand as people drink beers, drive like retards but I can do my sporting hobby, am I wrong? What is everyone's thoughts on this matter?

That is really sad news, but I can recall a discussion a few years ago on the same topic.  If you find out out which "road rule" was being violated, that could help.  Remember kite-buggies are "toys" not "vehicles" and so the application of road rules on the beach is somewhat tenuous.

BobM

Thanks BobM I was more dissapointed that they approach me about a buggy then all the other issues they have on the beach, if I could get some black and white writing to prove this,  I think rangers don't really know the law, just don't want to cause trouble and loses my beach permit over something so stupid l. 

It's absolute BS that they're applying any road rules other than the ones they've made up on the spot. If you had pedals on your buggy for propulsion instead of a kite you could be as pissed as a cricket and pedalling in zigzags at 80kph and they wouldn't bat an eyelid. 

The local council  generally have control over the beach and they will back their rangers over you so chances are that even if you did have the time and resources to challenge them legally you have zero chance of accomplishing anything positive. All they need do is pass a resolution at a council meeting to make traction kiting an unauthorised activity for "safety reasons" and everybody is banned from all traction kiting activities on the beach. Then the righteous brothers will have a sign to point at while writing out your fine. 

Best to avoid the confrontation and my reaction when approached by beach nazis is  "sorry officer, I didn't know" pack up and just move further down the beach out of sight the next time. If they do try again just go through the pantomime again like its groundhog day. It's easier to plead ignorance and ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission and generally, if there's no sign, there's no fine. 

I've found I don't get hassled by authorities on beaches with no vehicle access because the idle sods don't like doing foot patrols more than 100 metres from the local coffe shop.

What a shame. Nothing better to do than play power games by exercising their authority. Technically buggys are banned from Purley Way here in Croydon. I've only been approached twice since 97. We had this council worker walk over to us while we were having a smoke. Obnoxious little man, told us to leave in plain sight of a family of pikies dumping household waste into bushes using tipper trucks. I told him why he doesn't walk over there and ask them to leave. No response. We are an easy target.

Were you flying during the week? These council workers normally only work Monday to Friday.   

Bugger. And here I was remotely considering New Castle might be a nice place to move to considering Stockton Beach. First they said the dunes for buggies are off limits,  now the beach as well. Buggies banned for the whole beach or just some of it? Common sense pervails, if it is a busy long weekend, too many car drivers on the beach (plus the odd moron driving the car) and I would not traction kite on the beach. But all other days if there are not many cars on the beach and you slow down going past the walkers what’s the harm? Perhaps you might want to ask them what by law and if they draw a blank, perhaps you turn around and ignore them? Personally I reckon the cars on the beach are moe of a hazzard than anything else.

Here at my local in New Zealand on New Brighton Beach, the rangers wave (friendly) as I go past on my landboard plus kite. I always slow down to walking pace when going past walkers, and for the odd cars give them a wide birth with kite up high.

It's all good anyway guys I'd rather not loose my beach permit over the argument, the beach is on a bad angle and wind is never really in the right direction to do any kind of decent run. 

Fingal is my go to beach as it is pretty much a 2/3 of a circle so can nearly always find a spot along there,  no rangers and is not a driving beach so pretty sure nobody can stop me there except the tourist at holiday times.

SoutherlyBuster I reckon if I moved up past the north entrance maybe they couldn't really say much but like I said the wind is only good once in a blue 🌙.  

Back in 2014, the same question was asked on the forum by @Hurls10802

With a lot of research by @jdhot and updates by @crazy, this was the last known outcome....

5bdf90d2ecfb8_ScreenShot2018-11-05at11_35_38am.thumb.jpg.99fbb74644a718df50675c101e7febdd.jpg

So I would assume that if no-one has brought the case up again, this decision would still be in place, but in true Aussie style though, you're only in trouble if you get caught. Just apologies and plead ignorance. 

One rule we have in the kiting hobby (and land yachting), do not argue with officials (or the public), otherwise you could do it all for all kiting areas across Australia. Just smile and take your leave.

@twojaythomo,

a bit far to drag the buggy all the way around but if you don't mind a few k's on the pushy, jump on the ferry at Nelson with your bike/kite/landboard. Hop off at Tea Gardens and pedal to Yaccaba spit. Works well in a NE breeze and I've never been bugged by rangers at Hawks Nest

21 hours ago, Mfwetu said:

@twojaythomo,

a bit far to drag the buggy all the way around but if you don't mind a few k's on the pushy, jump on the ferry at Nelson with your bike/kite/landboard. Hop off at Tea Gardens and pedal to Yaccaba spit. Works well in a NE breeze and I've never been bugged by rangers at Hawks Nest

I love that trip - especially with the pub meal at Tea Gardens :)