Sign in to follow this  
twojaythomo

What's everyone's go to kite in patchy light wind.

10 hours ago, socommk233 said:

How much foiling have you done with an 18m race foil kite? 

The guys at my beach kite all year round on one 10m lei which is great, but does limit summer days kiting. 

I'm still very much a noob on my home made foil but I'm able to do consistent runs upwind and down wind in 6 to 8. As I progressed this year I was able to cut harder up wind and down, downwind is more challenging but very much possible as I am reminded by the only other 2 guys that foil/foil cutting so fast down wind even to me it seems magical. 

In the end each to their own I guess. 

I'm happy to push my limits and skills in the low range. Yes I've swam in ,no it's not fun, but the numerous sessions I had this year while others sat watching have been worth every minute. 

You mean, like a Sonic 18? Or a Sonic2 15? Did my collection of Speed3s not count or something :D 

The difference in the wind needed between riding the 21 (or 18) and switching to the 10m was just a couple of knots. The difference in fun, much greater.

The gif down there is a GPS trace of how I like to foil. That's not going to happen in 6 knots ... heck there's not even rideable swell till 12 knots.

181113mov.gif

6 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

You mean, like a Sonic 18? Or a Sonic2 15? Did my collection of Speed3s not count or something :D 

The difference in the wind needed between riding the 21 (or 18) and switching to the 10m was just a couple of knots. The difference in fun, much greater.

The gif down there is a GPS trace of how I like to foil. That's not going to happen in 6 knots ... heck there's not even rideable swell till 12 knots.

181113mov.gif

No. Speed 3s don't count ;)

As I said, each to their own. 

I enjoy bottom end foiling, sea being pond like and having it all to myself as it takes a different skill set. I don't want to have nothing to do mid summer living next to the beach just because I only want to use a 10 lei. 

1 hour ago, Kamikuza said:

Been there done that. Oh, still doing that. Just with a smaller kite ;)

You could try SUP foiling in summer. I'm almost tempted, except for the lack of waves.

Been itching to get the Mrs and dog on the sup with a kite just for a laugh. 

Light wind kiting has it’s own joys, the challenge of being able to do it is part of the joy. It often needs more skill to do it, the rewards of being able to do it, the joy. Besides, a nice cruisy run on the beach just can’t beat it — what would you rather do, kite or sulk at home wishing you  could?

Sorry do not ride a buggy, just thought I would weigh in on the light wind aspect.