alison melia

Hello. newbie Q bout depower kites-

Hi guys great forum I am stoked to b here amongst people who know their stuff coz I am a newbie. I aspire to jump in sand dunes  n mountain board on the beach. I have been learning with an ozone 1.6m trainer and recently a p Lynn 3m hornet which I scared my newbie self with lots power. So I have a question please, about depower kites- how much of a kite's power is lost when u sheet right out? They look so manageable compared to a fixed line kite? I Think I want one thanx

Welcome @alison melia

The amount of de-power depends very much on the kite.

Some do more than others.

You should find as a rule that high aspect kites will give a greater range of power adjustment over lower aspect kites.

Good to see you are slowly moving up to a bigger kite each time, a great way to progress.

The skills you learn can be moved along as you get bigger and bigger kites.

You will also find that the smaller kites move far quicker than the big ones, so if you are gaining skills on a small kite, you should have little problems going to a bigger one.

The big kites move slower, and as a result produce power the same way. The small kites move quick, and produce power quickly, and are often the kites that catch you napping.

For jumping wait till you have a bigger kite. 4+m kite.

It will have more "float" (softer landings) rather than a smaller kite which will have more "pop" (faster lifting), but pop doesn't work on the way down, only on the way up.

Depower kites are bigger than fixed bridle kites for the same power.

So an 8m depower may equal a 4m fixed bridle kite. Again it depends on the two kites (high aspect, low aspect, race kite, etc).

Where are you based?

We might have a forum member close by that can give you some pointers or even a go on some of their kites. 

Hope that's help a little.

Hi Nigel

Thankyou u just taught me lots

Took me a while to reply coz I'm a 53yo newbie to the internet too. N a slow letter writer

Blown away by the difference in power n size between depower n fixed bridle of similar AR -thats huge!

I understand not to try to jump  with a kite less than 5+M - would that be a fixed bridle size?

Thanks for safety advice tho always

I do need to try depower kites- I will get lessons in Hobart. Do this properly

I'm based around St Helens N.E. Tas. Top spot. Plenty of places to Play

Great advice. I'll keep practicing with the tea towel n the hornet n book lessons.

Don't know bout my land board idea- buggy looks good... Go well with the hornet too

Nothing wrong with a land board on the beach.

@bakersdozen has a nice land board with "grannys" (big over sized wheels), so it can be done.

The buggy has the advantage of being able to sit down, but size is it's nemesis. A land board is very easy to carry and store.

Check out the tassie kite flyiers:  www.taskite.org.au  Checkout face book as well.

As a kite club, I think there is more single line and static flyiers than power kiters, but you might be able to find a local to you.

Yes a 5m+ fixed bridle would be a good start to jump on, any less and you will get spanked harder when it goes pear shaped.

You should find an 8-10m depower will be about the same power, being bigger they tend to move a little slower, but have a bit more sail there should you need some float.

We did have a few power kiters based in Tassie, but I think they were further South, and they seem to have been very quiet the last few years.

@alison melia   I landboard and kite surf, age 55 years. Landboards are a lot more compact and cheaper to buy compared to a buggy. Just throw it in the back of your car and away you go. Landboards do require good balance skills, all part of the learning curve. If you have any inclination to kite surf in the future, then landboarding is a good move as it provides cross training, oh and not to forget snow boarding with the kites since your are in Tasi. Landboarding on the beach at low tide is geat fun, I would go for Matrix Trucks on an MBS Board, much more stable. Landboarding can also be done on down hill runs on fire tracks without the kite when there is no wind, so versatile. Balancing on a landboard with the smaller fixed briddle kites is harder compared to the larger depower kites in that there is not much to lean on. I only use depower kites these days, use them for: landboarding, dirt surfer, kiteboarding, water hydro foil boarding and snow boarding. So if you want land and water action, ensure any depower you get covers land and water, is more cost effective. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Hi Alison,

Welcome! There is another factor that hasn't been mentioned yet and it's the wind speed. Generally you want a smaller kite if the wind is blowing stronger and a larger kite if the wind is light. A de-power kite suits a wider range of conditions as it can be powered up or de-powered to get you comfortable in the conditions you are flying in.

Keep updating us on your progression and we will be happy to offer advice and guide you through your journey.

Main point is have fun and stay safe (safety equipment/protection).

Thanx so much for your help guys-you treasures of info n encouragement! Am aware of the absolute importance of judging wind speeds- have some sailing experience- but thankyou for safety watch. Thanx for Taskite heads up too. 

More Q pls- would sand dunes b too hard on a lei- crashes n marram grass- sharp tips? 

And my next kite- after lessons. Been learning with 1.6m & 3 M fixed bridle kites- do u think an 8 M depower medium AR kite would b too great a leap in size? Have bought a mountain board; not thinking of getting in the water yet... I weigh 55 kg . Am very safety conscious- need to grow some balls if anything. What kite's did u progress thru & what do u fly now? Thinking of buying a P.L. crossover Bar n harness to make the hornet easier to learn to landboard with- what u reckon? ( i Realize it doesn't depower the kite). 

Keep having fun guys😎  

2 hours ago, alison melia said:

Thanx so much for your help guys-you treasures of info n encouragement! Am aware of the absolute importance of judging wind speeds- have some sailing experience- but thankyou for safety watch. Thanx for Taskite heads up too. 

More Q pls- would sand dunes b too hard on a lei- crashes n marram grass- sharp tips? 

And my next kite- after lessons. Been learning with 1.6m & 3 M fixed bridle kites- do u think an 8 M depower medium AR kite would b too great a leap in size? Have bought a mountain board; not thinking of getting in the water yet... I weigh 55 kg . Am very safety conscious- need to grow some balls if anything. What kite's did u progress thru & what do u fly now? Thinking of buying a P.L. crossover Bar n harness to make the hornet easier to learn to landboard with- what u reckon? ( i Realize it doesn't depower the kite). 

Keep having fun guys😎  

I found the biggest hurdle to converting to depower was the need to wear a harness.  With handles there was always a "let go of the handles" option when disaster struck.  An 8M depower WILL LIFT YOU OFF THE GROUND.  You need to learn not to fight the kite (as I tend to do with smaller kites) but to go-with-it a lot more.  I still prefer setting everything up so that I am ready move (in the buggy) the moment I launch the kite.

BobM

Hi BobM 

Thanks

I didn't mention in last Post that I'd like to jump eventually-hence the keen 8m question.guess if I have to ask a beginner question like that-im not ready for a bigger kite & will definitely not rush into buying one.

Hmm yes... reaction time with safety releases & harnesses....

And yes I have yet to make the great leap forward from wrestling with static flying . Going to try scudding on the beach with the 3m hornet with handles next-then the board... learn to roll before I try to fly.

Hope not boring everyone with these learner questions- but your answers n YouTube have been invaluable to me n I go learn now better educated n safer.

Cheers all.

Jumping with an 8m^2 depower, DON’T, not yet any way. At this size the kites are very responsive and typically the winds needed to boost you off the ground for this size kite are big winds and tend to be gusty — all translates into unpredictable, you go up quick and come down hard. I would probably go for a 10 m^2 depower as the first depower, winds will be lighter right for it, safer for you and boosting will be better. Don’t worry about boosting until you are total comfortable with your kite and landboard. If using handles with your fixed briddle, rig up a strop, ie rope between your handle ends which hooks into your harness, this takes the load off your arms. Bar systems to make fixed briddle systems into “like” depower are ok, my son used the ozone turbo bar, they are nice, but if you are on a budget and really have in mind a true depower kite, then a strop is a better option.

Hi @alison melia, welcome to the forum.

On the difference between fixed bridle and depower, for kites of similar size, aspect ratio and projected sail area, when sheeted out fully the pull from a depower kite is very roughly half that of a fixed bridle kite BUT when sheeted in fully it's going to be pretty much the same power size for size so a powered-up 6m depower kite has the same pull as a 6m fixed bridle.

Bigger kites are slower through the air so you have more time to react but there are going to be many times when the wind is too strong for it, especially while you're learning. I reckon you're better off with a smaller de-power to start off with as you'll get more use out of it.

A popular choice over the years to learn buggying and kite landboarding has been the stable, low AR snowkite models around the 6m mark like the Ozone Access and HQ Apex foils and more recently the single skin models such as Flysurfer Peak. 

If you do go this route the chances are that you'll sooner or later outgrow them so I'd suggest you buy second hand and get something more advanced when you're ready for it. You can then choose to on-sell or keep the first kite as a storm sail. 
These kites are high quality builds that last forever and you can pick them up pretty cheaply. As an example, I recently got a 6m Access XC with bar, lines, harness and bag in really good nick for $ 150.

Good luck and keep us posted.