Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By .Joel
      Introduction
      The PKD Brooza is an "intermediate" kite that is a step up from the popular entry level PKD Buster.  The Brooza is aimed as a stable buggy engine.

Unpacking
      The package PKD supply, like a number of the popular european brands has been very simple.  You get a stuff sack that contains your handles, lines and manual.  No fancy backpacks etc, which can be quite a positive as a quiver of 5 kites can take up half the space due to no extra hanging bits.  One thing I used to love about my PKD Buster was it was simply small enough to stuff under the seat of the car and pull it out when I wanted it.

Lines
      PKD supply their kites on Climax Dyneema lines, the lines are excellent quality and are knotted at the ends.  This means that you can adjust them over time as they stretch.  All lines with enough load will stretch regardless of brand, having knots in them makes it as simple as pegging one side of the lines to your washing line, walking them back and working out which one has stretched.  Untie the knot, move the knot and retie it.  This saves you having to cut and modify your lines after a long time.

Handles
      PKD Handles are light weight aluminium and comfortable.  They have a cleat style system on the bottom that makes it easy to adjust the length of your brakes without having to loosen lines and move them up and down the leaders on the handles.  Be aware that you need to ensure you have cleated the rope in properly, otherwise it will slip releasing the brake line and making it longer.

Bridle
      The bridles are very bright and catch your attention easily.  They are all colour coded which makes it easy to define which line runs from which row.  Europeans are notorious for tweaking their kites, adjusting their bridles to get the best possible performance to suit their style of riding.  Having bright and colour coded bridles makes it easier to identify which you are adjusting.  I should note, that there is no need to make any changes, and only do so if you are well aware of what you are changing and why.  The bridles are sleeved dyneema and are stitched at both ends.

General Construction
      The construction of the kite is a number of noticable steps above the Buster.  The finish of the bridle and sail is up there amongst the more expensive brands.  There is no area of the PKD Brooza that is lacking in build, it is strong, well finished and durable.

Flight Characteristics
      The PKD Brooza is an intermediate kite, and when flying the kite it is important to be aware of this.  The kite is a buggy engine, it is not really made for standing around and static flying.  Whilst you can static fly the kite, you must keep it moving.  A number of people will comment on the kite luffing for them, then you read about their static fly of the kite in a park, it is not designed for this.  Once you have the kite in a buggy and you are moving the kite is easily kept inflated, even with the few open cells on the front of the kite.  At the top end of the kite's wind range having a large number of closed cells is no problem, at the bottom end of the kite's wind range you are going to need to keep it moving.  

The first time I flew a PKD Brooza was a very very strong wind and gusty day.  I was handed a demo 3.0m Brooza and took off up the beach with the kite, on my first run up the beach in a standard buggy I hit 74.1km/h.  This was my first run on the kite, in my hands for less then 10 minutes.  The Brooza due to the closed cells on the leading edge handled the gusts very very well, and for  a medium-low aspect ratio kite it pointed up wind considerably well.  The kite was well behaved and stable, when a gust came through it translated to power immediately without the kite luffing or jumping around in the window.

Conclusion
      If you are considering a larger PKD Buster I would definitely look at purchasing a Brooza.  The kites turn quicker, fly further forward in the window and point up wind better then the buster.  Whilst the Buster is great value for money, the extra few dollars spent on a Brooza makes it all the more worth it when looking at the overall improvement of the kite.  The PKD Brooza will also give you a lot more room to grow in to the kite.
      Photos thanks to Dyonysosd France
      View the PKD Brooza Gallery: 

• By .Joel
      No, that's not a mistake.... 
      Rub your eyes a bit....
      Let this sink in properly....

PKD has come back from the dead with their first ever depower kite being a closed cell race kite called the Inferno!  Kite & Friends have a video of a pre-production 12M kite and like most things PKD, they don't do it often but when they do it usually looks stunning or menacing.  I have a soft spot for PKD, over a decade ago they were my very first kite and they've always produced a robust, well-built kite. The profile shape, the colours, the overall appearance and presence of the kite in this video looks brilliant.  
      Welcome back PKD, there's still some life in this dark horse yet...
    • By .Joel
      PKD Buster II 1.4M $150
      Complete with Lines, Handles & Bag. 
      In excellent condition, flown only a couple of times.
      These are some of the toughest small, high-wind kites you can own.  Built stronger than most of today's small power kites with re-enforced vents, fully sleeved bridles, heat-shrunk knot covers.  It's the sort of kite you either want as a beginner or you stick in your bag as an experienced kiter for those 30+ knot days!
      All prices exclude postage.
      Pickup welcome, located in Melbourne.