.Joel

Lightweight Buggy rims

Those look pretty minimal and I suspect get pretty much to the floor in terms of trimming grams while still remaining strong. Not trying to be snarky, but aren't the standard plastic rims lighter than any metal rims?

@windstruck I think your right about the plastic rims being the lightest option.

i think the benefit of allow rims is that they seat the tyre a bit better and are more balanced? @.Joel @Chook Am I on the right track with that idea?

I’m not sure why guys with big go fast buggies are worried about saving a few grams on wheels, when the buggies themselves weigh 50kg+ :dontknow: 

@.Joel side note: I just used the updated emojis menu for the first time. Is there any way that we can put ek’s original “general” emojis at the top, so that we don’t have to scroll through all the crappy phone emojis first. The EK ones are a lot more interesting and unique to the forum. 

44 minutes ago, andy666 said:

@windstruck I think your right about the plastic rims being the lightest option.

i think the benefit of allow rims is that they seat the tyre a bit better and are more balanced? @.Joel @Chook Am I on the right track with that idea?

I’m not sure why guys with big go fast buggies are worried about saving a few grams on wheels, when the buggies themselves weigh 50kg+ :dontknow: 

@.Joel side note: I just used the updated emojis menu for the first time. Is there any way that we can put ek’s original “general” emojis at the top, so that we don’t have to scroll through all the crappy phone emojis first. The EK ones are a lot more interesting and unique to the forum. 

The alloy rims just seem more high end to me and in my experience roll better than OEM PL plastic rims. I've got two sets of Sysmic 8x2.5" rims (standard spokes, not the light weight ones Joel showed). One set has BF tires that I use on the beach and the other set has six-ply trailer tires that I use on the Ivanpah playa. Both setups are somewhat heavy, but they roll sweet!  This is particularly comforting when I'm screaming (like a little girl) on the playa at or near my PB speed. I'm with you, I've never considered the option of wanting to trim weight and in fact sort of welcome the weight thinking it helps somehow with buggy stability. 

Maybe Joel is looking to set up a light weight buggy for ultra light wind days or for a buggy that is being purposely kept light weight for whatever reason. 

Yeh all the plastic rims I have tried struggle to run true. Particularly when it's hot and running higher pressures on the hard salt. They all wobble to some degree.

This is where the Sysmic alloys really shine. They run absolutely true and have never let me down with strength. (It's getting quality tyres that have round casings that is the problem for us landsailing, where we are pushing them to over 130kmh). I've bent the 20mm axle bolts on my buggy in crashes and the rims still run perfectly true.

The bead seating area is the biggest advantage on the alloys, to get the tyre seated perfectly. Lots of pure detergent and high pressure air to blast the casing onto the rim quickly and at high pressure to seat it accurately.

Also with the alloy rims we run them tubeless this allows much more casing flex. This makes an enormous difference to the friction required to push them along. It's chalk and cheese.  We always hunt down 2 ply tyres that flex as easily as push bike tyres to minimize the rolling resistance. 4 ply knock 3-5kmh off your top speed.

Yeh with alloy rims the weight is a penalty when carting them around and must certainly inhibit acceleration but once moving the mass helps.

These rims look a bit savage Joel. I wouldn't want a stray hand going into the rim during a crash.   

The benefits is performance, you will minimize the speening weight (weight in movement), the farther weight from the center of the wheel the more important it is... The tires are also very important, the lighter, the better...

So, you will reach your maximum speed much faster...

You can’t do this with plastic, the mechanical property are too weak. And I join you guys on the comment of the plastic rims are not perfectly round...

I would say, same as bicycle race, you want to minimize the turning weight on your wheels, cause those are efforts you are working against to make the bicycle moving forward.

👍😀