Sign in to follow this  
andy666

Chain lube for kite lines

I sold my mountain bike a few weeks ago and I was going through the bits and pieces I still had for it (deciding what to sell or throw out), when I came across some chain dry lube.

4C54F622-8F79-4A4A-B8BB-002969A2082E.thumb.png.63e45e01f7b2b8faccf9f151feda6de3.png

A wax based, solvent free lube. That is designed to not attract dust or wash off with water. Hmmm, What could I possibly use this for? :dontknow: 

it was obvious really. So today I grabbed a length of old kite line, wiped some on and let dry for half an hour.

this is the result. The chain lube was applied to the left half obviously.

A4B166C1-27F7-45E3-9C4C-6D3A78719963.thumb.png.294eabe1646f4d9a06fec4efda63cbd9.png

The coated line has a nice slippery feel, that didn’t want to rub off. I also ran my finger nails up and down it to try and get the little frayed bits to stand up, but they mostly stayed stuck down. 

A bottle of this chain lube sells for about $15 and 120ml should be enough to do at least 10 sets of lines. So now it’s just a matter of time and motivation to coat some full sets of lines. 

5 hours ago, andy666 said:

I sold my mountain bike a few weeks ago and I was going through the bits and pieces I still had for it (deciding what to sell or throw out), when I came across some chain dry lube.

4C54F622-8F79-4A4A-B8BB-002969A2082E.thumb.png.63e45e01f7b2b8faccf9f151feda6de3.png

A wax based, solvent free lube. That is designed to not attract dust or wash off with water. Hmmm, What could I possibly use this for? :dontknow: 

it was obvious really. So today I grabbed a length of old kite line, wiped some on and let dry for half an hour.

this is the result. The chain lube was applied to the left half obviously.

A4B166C1-27F7-45E3-9C4C-6D3A78719963.thumb.png.294eabe1646f4d9a06fec4efda63cbd9.png

The coated line has a nice slippery feel, that didn’t want to rub off. I also ran my finger nails up and down it to try and get the little frayed bits to stand up, but they mostly stayed stuck down. 

A bottle of this chain lube sells for about $15 and 120ml should be enough to do at least 10 sets of lines. So now it’s just a matter of time and motivation to coat some full sets of lines. 

This is interesting. I look forward to learning your impressions once you have some time with a full line set coated this way. Is there a bad odor?  Does the stuff come off on your hands or stain some material the lineset comes in contact with, line snappage, etc.  This could be a great discovery. 

Solvent free? Looks like dyneema (UHMWPE) lines are resistant to solvents, so you should be good. When I got my first new kite, I put dry wax on the pulley lines ... no issues still.

I always meant to get around to putting violin bow wax on the depower lines ... but never did :D 

Might be good on old lines but I'd still prefer to replace them.