igeighty

Found - AVIA Gforce UL

Hi guys, 

I am looking for a source of AVIA Gforce UL spars, or something similar, (and ferrules)

these are wrapped tapered rods, from the leading edge of an MEFM.

I do not have callipers on hand to measure, so have eyeballed it using a $2 tape.

I have read that sky shark nitro would be a suitable replacement ?

just looking for input from anyone that has replaced these.

regards.

Doug.

IMG_1471.thumb.jpeg.edc833eea3d9e84c7d0639702910db41.jpeg

IMG_1472.thumb.jpeg.f01b0b13972a567bc4852bef6860d5e7.jpeg

IMG_1473.thumb.jpeg.ade93d99b48656e9e5e39573484c768a.jpeg

Thanks Michael, 

I have sent a few emails, seems AVIA is now defunct, ill see what replies come through after the easter break.

another avenue might be Michael Richards up in Sydney, but he is in NZ on holidays till next month.

http://www.kitesandfunthings.com have a huge range of stuff. I may have to bight the bullet and re-spar the kite with a different rod.

I will keep trying and see what comes up :)

22 hours ago, igeighty said:

Hi guys, 

I am looking for a source of AVIA Gforce UL spars, or something similar, (and ferrules)

these are wrapped tapered rods, from the leading edge of an MEFM.

I do not have callipers on hand to measure, so have eyeballed it using a $2 tape.

I have read that sky shark nitro would be a suitable replacement ?

just looking for input from anyone that has replaced these.

regards.

Doug.

I've got a pair of used G-Force UL at 76cm long, three at 68cm, and two at 66cm.  If these are any use, you are welcome to them.

A full length (82.5cm) G-Force UL weighs about 16.5 grams. Large end O.D. 9mm, I.D. 7.4mm. Small end O.D. 6.5mm, I.D. 6.0 mm.  Ferrule size 7.3mm hollow carbon tube (no idea where to get that any more!)

A Skyshark 5PT weighs 15 grams.  Large end O.D. 7.9mm, I.D. 6.2mm. Small end O.D. 6mm, I.D. 4.5mm. Ferrule size 6mm (0.2400" solid carbon rod)  (A Skyshark 7PT weighs 20 grams - way too heavy!)

A Skyshark Nitro STD weighs 15 grams.  Large end O.D. 8.3mm, I.D. 7.2mm. Small end O.D. 6.4mm, I.D. 5.2mm.  Ferrule size 6mm (0.2400" solid carbon rod) 

I hope this helps

5 minutes ago, KaoS said:

I've got a pair of used G-Force UL at 76cm long

G'day Kevin.

Thanks for the info, It certainly does help.

If I could purchase the 'G-Force UL at 76cm' from you that would be amazing. As for the 7.3mm ferrule to join them, I am going to attempt to extract the ferule from this broken spar. (not sure on my success though) failing that though, it looks like that 7.3mm would be available through an arrow supplier, I found one listing on amazon, that sells 7.3mm OD arrows.https://www.amazon.com/SinoArt-Feathers-Press-fit-Replaceable-Targeting/dp/B07D6MH1BL so possibly could be used.

Thanks so much for the info about the sky shark also. I think that sky shark 5pt is the way to go if I am to replace both leading edges as this seems the best and closest fit the these AVIA spars. I have found them here https://www.kitesandfunthings.com/Products/Sky-Shark-Black-Diamond-Tubes__BDSERIES.aspx

also, I definitely need to get a set of vernier callipers. As eyeballing these sizes with old eyes just doesn't work ;)

again mate, thanks for your info and help.

Doug

35 minutes ago, igeighty said:

If I could purchase the 'G-Force UL at 76cm' from you that would be amazing. As for the 7.3mm ferrule to join them, I am going to attempt to extract the ferule from this broken spar.

Consider them yours. By the way, one of the spars already has a ferrule.

I'll mail them off to you tomorrow.  I presume you're still at Croydon?

...and FYI, I have a stock of Skyshark spars in pretty much all sizes if you ever go down that path

To get those stubborn ferrules out heat is the go. Heat the spar with a lighter till the bond breaks then whip the ferrule out, spar is roo ted but the ferrule is ok. Got this tip off Leong, Ceewan. 

Thanks @KaoS

the spar replacement is perfect, and has restored the kite to a pristine condition.

next for me is to go over these old kites and replace the bungee, that has deteriorated over time, found that stuff here, and is on its way.

https://www.ropegalore.com.au/o3mm-x-5m-shock-cord-free-postage/

thanks again.

Dougie

1 hour ago, igeighty said:

next for me is to go over these old kites and replace the bungee, that has deteriorated over time, found that stuff here, and is on its way.

Aaargh!  Why didn't you say so??  I would have sent some in the spars parcel!!