Jamie Agius

Kiteboarding transferring to land boarding

Hi guys

I’ve been kiteboarding for about a year, pretty confident in water but trying out land boarding. Got a mountain board, curious of wind speeds and directions and what size kite to use. I use Lei kites I think they’re called , got a 9 and 12m liquid force envy.I tried using my mountain board on the beach  the other day seemed to get bogged in the soft sand curious of the limits to push.

Look for hard pack sand and low tide usually. If all you have is soft sand, you can get 9 or 10 inch tires and be able to move in softer sand (look up granny tires here and you will find plummet and baker's 10 inch tire boards). 

You need much less kite size on land (less resistance than water). Keep the kite high if you're hitting soft sand and plowing in. Have fun!

As long as your kite can fly you're good to go, rolling resistance is low and speed picks up quick.

Grass is intimidating but easier option since you don't need to worry about tides and softness etc.

If you don't break your hip in first 2-3 sessions and you're not too dumb chances are you will survive and are good to go...

just take it slow.

oh and small kites are probably safer at first. Start small.

the bigger the wheels are really a lot heavier, and weight on the ends is not where you want it for agile landboarding , when you've been to your chosen beach a few times you soon work out where the hard patches are - I have found you need an onshore tide going out and the sun tends to bake the sand  a bit as I shines on the beach , and will harden more as you get ready, and stay harnessed in as you do for the water , and as you swipe across for some power to start, don't just lean back , I tend to throw my legs/feet  up so you are in the right position when your wheels hit the beach, the first thing you will notice you can not hold as much power as kitesurting , and get ready for lots of sliding ,and sometimes throwing up your feet up is a good way to avoid crashes, if you slightly get it wrong  , and never fall forwards train yourself to always fall backwards and land on your bottom

I've been landboarding here in Townsville for a good 6 years now. We are fortunate to have good SE trade winds, and when it's like 18-25knots on the beach, it's a perfect 12-15knots on land near my local park.

The one tip I can give you, as a beginner, is as soon as you dive and feel the pull of the kite, to always lean back and do a small little jump with your board attached (of course), and point it in the direction of the kite's downward stroke. Otherwise the kite will yank you off the board and possibly injure yourself.

I found this lengthy video very good.

But please do NOT attempt any jumps or loops like these guys. They've been at it for years and years and have hurt themselves at the beginning (I think ABE was hospitalised for months once).

Just learn the basics as per the beginning of the video.

I personally took up land-boarding first before I went on water and found the transition way easy, so you might find land-kiting is not that hard, but remember it's land - not water so don't take risks.

Welcome!