Pari

I've Ordered a GONG Unik Kite

So I gave my first Kitesurfing lesson today. I got out my 9m Naish Ride that I literally just spent another $192 to fix a massive rip from the last time I used it. I got it especially repaired for this lesson, rushed into to Moti on Friday morning and had it back by that evening, nice one Moti👍.

So the lesson went like this: usual explanation of the wind window, power zone, bar safety features, laying out lines, etc (probably missed something out but I'm sure someone will pull me up on it!) blowing up kite- whats that noise? Bloody leaking valve.

Fortunately I had the 8M Soul in the car, so the student got to learn on a foil kite. They said the had fun and enjoyed the lesson so I guess everything worked out OK. But damn I'm sick of throwing money at kite repairs. (Another reason why I love foil kites).

So I've been looking at the Gong kites for a while now. They look pretty good, decent reviews and the company looks straight up, selling direct to the public missing out the middle man.

I've ordered a 7m (6.8m) single strut UNIK (sounds like someone who's been castrated), and am hoping it will be good to teach with. If so a smaller one will be on the cards.

I will post something about it once I've had some time to play around with it.

I also thought it might make a good high wind kite once I get proficient with the foil board.

01-181107-KITE-NEW-UNIK-GONGKITE-58-1500.jpg

UNIK-GAMME-1500x1500.png

The Gong UNIK 6.8m Kite arrived after 2 weeks.

I put it up in about 10- 12kn for a test flight and it was easy to launch and keep it in the air- it's very light being a single strut kite made for foiling mainly. It looks well made with triple ripstop, good sized bumpers and Dacron TE.

One thing which is annoying is the inflation tube to the strut is way to long and kinks so that it prevents the strut from inflating and I had to fiddle around with it to get the air to flow.

Also notice a odd twist in the center strut- I couldn't notice in flight so maybe the canopy needs to be under tension for it to straighten out.

Flying it in 12kn was great, really positive and reactive flying, no back stalling and very easy to place the kite where I wanted and keep it there.

It did flutter quite a bit through turns when depowered- I don't have any experience with single strut kites before this one so I don't know if this is common thing with them or not

Other than those few points, I'm really happy with my, under $900, purchase and think it will make a great trainer kite for lessons, easy to control and not prone to falling back into the power zone like some kites, which was the case with my 2013 Best  Kahoona.

I haven't flown it in the water, am going to need a a high wind day to get a 6.8m kite up and out in the ocean.

The bag is great, I really like the sand vent in the bottom, the useful pocket, straps and bungees on the sides and especially the PLASTIC zip. Who'd a thought- what a novel idea to put a zip that's not going to corrode on a bag that is by the ocean a lot. How many times have I wished the big brand kites that I've had in the past would've done the same. Genius.

The bridle is pretty standard- Ronstan pulleys, one on each side. There is a couple of adjustment places for customizing the flight and bar pressure characteristics, one by moving where the bridle attaches to the leading edge via three knot settings and one on the wing tips like most kites, by moving the steering lines to one of three loops. I'll probably not mess around with these and just leave it on the default settings as it seems to feel and fly just right there.

I used my standard Naish bar with 24m lines for it and it seemed perfect, even colour matched the lines of the bar-lucky.

I'll add a bit more to this or a separate review once I've had a chance to put it through it paces on the water.

IMG_3977.JPG

IMG_E3979.JPG

IMG_E3980.JPG

IMG_E3983.JPG

IMG_E3985.JPG

IMG_E3986.JPG

IMG_E3987.JPG

IMG_E3988.JPG

IMG_E3989.JPG

IMG_E3990.JPG

IMG_E3991.JPG

IMG_3997.JPG